Pages

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Pretty in Ink: Sparkle and Shine


This post is particularly special to me. The woman in the photograph is not simply a glamorous, perfectly styled, elegant icon fitting of her captivating era. This woman is Dottie Williams, or more fondly known throughout my childhood as "Granny". Though I never met the woman in this picture, I did know a fabulous mother, grandmother, and great grandmother, who was just as stylish (even in her silk pajamas) until the very end. More importantly, I knew a woman who fiercely held onto her beliefs, her loved ones, and had a tenacity for loving life.

Aside from all of her exciting stories and wonderful sense of humor and aside from the glamor, her most notable quality was her big heart and unfailing kindness toward all people. Friends, family, and new acquaintances alike, she was always there as a shoulder to lean on or to offer a helping hand. These qualities--not beautiful clothes, perfect lipstick, or artfully coiffed locks--are the bits of sparkle left behind and remembered by all.

 I can only aspire to one day live up to the legacy of such an amazing lady. While that beautiful lipstick or chic new dress may put a little extra pep in my step on the way to my destination, I hope to have that extra sparkle of a positive attitude and a kind heart to contribute to the world.






P.S. Here are a few more pieces of her excellent style. She used to collect flower pins as a staple accessory. I've styled a few of my favorites on a mesh dress form previously used to hang earrings from. Aren't they adorable?



Never forget what (and who) is important, and always remember that we all have our own personal brands of sparkle. So throw on your signature accessory and take on the day with a smile.

xoxo
-Madison

No comments:

Post a Comment