Pages

Saturday, July 12, 2014

Beauty on a Budget: Top 10 Under $10

Girl on a budget? No problem. I, like many of you, am like a child in a candy shop when I walk into Sephora, Ulta, or any store carrying makeup for that matter, and my wallet does not appreciate it. The good news is that there are several more affordable products in the drugstore sector that don't sacrifice quality. While I still love my NARS blushes and MAC lipsticks, I don't always need to spend a fortune to get a quality product that I love. 


 


1// e.l.f. Eyebrow Kit- Medium
My relationship with my eyebrows is a constant struggle (particularly with the left one; it does some crazy things). The underlying shapes are fine, but my actual eyebrow hair is thin and somewhat sparse; without filling my brows in, I feel like my face is bald. Eyebrows are SO important for framing your face, and I love using this product to fill them in. I love that the gel is smooth to apply, unlike pencils that can pull brow hair out, and tends to hold my brows in place better due to the waxy formula. However, for a bit more of a natural look or simply to set the wax, I like that it also comes with a powder on the right side.

*I personally like the trend of more sculpted brows, but I find that a lot of girls apply their products with a heavier hand than is my personal preference. Here is my favorite video of how to fill in brows--while I use less product, this is my favorite quick, easy technique


2// L'Oreal Voluminous Million Lashes-Blackest Black
This product is wonderful. It separates lashes to keep them clump free while making them--and keeping them--fabulous all day. Spending money on high end mascara is definitely not a requisite to get great lashes.
 
3// Maybelline Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner- Blackest Black
Firstly, I love the versatility of gel liner: it can be smudged out for a smokey effect, or drawn as a sharper line similar to that of liquid liner (best set with an eyeshadow to keep it in place). This particular liner is easy to apply, and is buildable enough to range from more of a charcoal color to black on its own.

Speaking of color range, here's a tip: when setting your liner to keep budge-proof, you can use whatever color of shadow you want. I use all sorts of colors, like gunmetal, dark brown, or even gold for a unique layered effect.
 
4// e.l.f. Studio Under Eye Concealer- Glow/Fair
I cannot say enough about this product. If I have one thing that I put on my face (aside from mascara, of course), this is it. It is the perfect brightening concealer for under my eyes and on my lids. It's not too cakey for the eye area *gross*, and it's a bit lighter than the rest of my face, which gives a brightening contour effect without being crazy and unnaturally white (Sorry, Kim K). The highlighter portion can be used sparingly if the under-eye area is especially dark, but I mainly use it as a browbone highlight and in the inner corners of my eyes. It leaves me fresh faced without looking overdone.

Disclaimer: I don't really have bad dark circles, so I'm not sure how well it works if yours are severe.

5// L'Oreal Colour Riche Lipstick-  Fairest Nude
As a staple nude color, this lipstick isn't too flesh-colored or too pink. It's perfect on it's own or with any color of gloss on top. It's easy to apply and low maintenance; everyone needs a go-to neutral lipstick.

6// Nyx Cosmetics Butter Gloss- Strawberry Parfait AND L'Oreal Le Gloss- Baby Blossom
 Okay, I think I've mentioned in several posts my obsession with lip products. So, naturally, I couldn't choose between my favorite glosses... hence, a tie. The Nyx gloss is very creamy, as the name implies, and not sticky at all. The pigmentation is great--it can be worn alone and show up as a pop of beautiful pink, or worn over a lipstick. For a more toned down color, it's great over Fairest nude.

Baby Blossom is the only color I've tried from the Le Gloss line, but it makes me want to try more. Also not too sticky, it applies smoothly and with a nice wash of more subtle color. It is great for toning down lipsticks or adding a tinge of pink. Plus, I'm a sucker for the packaging.

7// Essie's Madison Ave Hue
 Admittedly, part of the reason I was drawn to this color was the name, BUT, I am also in love with the color. It's a gorgeous cool pink with a bit of fine sparkle. I feel like this color is unique to a lot of pinks I see on nails, and it's a refreshing pop of color that can still be ladylike, as it isn't too wild or neon. What can I say? The name was simply fate.

8// Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine Anti Humidity Hairspray
 Great hold, great formula, great finish. It keeps my hair smooth in my Miami/New Orleans habitats without making it crunchy, and it actually does give my hair a shinier finish. A+.

9// Olay Pore Minimizing Cleanser + Scrub
 One of the most important parts of any makeup routine is getting it all off at the end of the day. I use this cleanser every night, as the microbeads are gentle enough for daily use, and it leaves my face feeling clean, smooth, and not dehydrated. Bonus: the swirly design in the bottle looks pretty cool.

10// Almay Longwear & Waterproof Eye Makeup Remover Pads
Keeping with the topic of night time routine, eye makeup remover is a necessary evil. I have yet to find one that is quick and entirely simple, but that seems to be the nature of the beast. Though it takes a little patience to remove all of the eye makeup, this product will get it all off. It conveniently has the remover soaked into the prepackaged pads, making the grueling process a step shorter, and because they are so thin, it makes getting all traces of under-eye/lash line smudges easy to reach.


I wear use several of these products on a regular basis, and I don't find that I am missing out on the quality of higher end and higher priced products.

Here are a few pictures of my face today, where I am wearing several of these products, including the mascara, brow product, concealer, lipstick, and the Baby Blossom gloss. Unfortunately, I was out of the hairspray on this extremely muggy day, so my hair was an uncontrollable ball of frizz, not to mention that everything I did to style my hair came undone within 10 minutes--I digress.



The unfortunate downfall of lip gloss: my hair always ends up in it.

All body and curl GONE. Missing my favorite hairspray.


What are your holy grail products, drugstore and high end?

Much love from a beauty addict,
Madison









2 comments:

  1. I love love love Boots Natural Collection lip liners and nail varnishes, for £1.99 for each product it is such a bargain, and the quality is superb. There's no way to fault it for that price!

    lots of love, Ana
    X

    anasofiachic.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to be on the lookout for those products!! Being in America, I don't see Boots products all too often, but I do love what I've tried (specifically the body butters).

    ReplyDelete